“It is fun to get together and have something good to eat at least once a day. That is what human life is all about – enjoying things.” – Julia Child
As your loved one builds a healthy and loving relationship with food, they get the privilege they might have never enjoyed before of deriving joy from shared meal experiences. This can be initially intimidating for the supporter, who wants nothing more than to say the “right” thing. Here are a few tips for table conversation to carry the family through mealtimes:
- Talk about something you learned today.
- Everyone name a challenge in the day and a high point of the day.
- Go around and identify something you are thankful for specific to that day.
- Favorite movies/TV shows/Books.
- Funny memories.
- Tell a joke.
- Fun upcoming weekend plans.
- “If you could travel to anywhere in the world, where would it be?”
- Create a table topic jar! Decorate it and bring it out for mealtimes.
- Play a group game.
- Purchase a table topics guide for additional fun topics- or make your own!
- Potentially stressful topics such as school, tests or work
- Comments about diet
- Memories of the eating disorder
- “You used to never eat that food”
- Confrontational topics