- A global, multidisciplinary professional organization that provides cutting-edge professional training and education, inspires new developments in eating disorders research, prevention and clinical treatments and is the international source for state-of-the-art information in the field of eating disorders.
- In an effort to prevent eating disorders and promote a positive body image, this resource contains information to help families identify the causes and symptoms of common eating disorders in their loved ones. Their site offers educational presentations, cutting-edge information, and referral, training, advocacy, support and mentoring services for those currently working toward recovery from an eating disorder.
- This national organization focuses on increased prevention, diagnosis and treatment for binge eating disorder. BEDA is committed to facilitating awareness, excellence in care and recovery for those who live and work with Binge Eating Disorder through outreach, support, education and resources.
- Provides education and certification to health care treatment providers for the purpose of promoting effective treatment. IAEDP’s annual symposium is designed especially for treatment professionals working with adolescents in a therapeutic setting.
- This organization is dedicated to providing education, resources and support to those affected by eating disorders. Their site provides useful resources and toolkits especially for families, friends and educators who are coping with a loved one who has an eating disorder.
- Project HEAL is a nonprofit organization that helps people suffering with eating disorders pay for treatment. The organization was founded in 2008 by two young women who had met while undergoing treatment for Anorexia Nervosa.
While it can be inspiring to learn about efforts to support eating disorder advocacy, it is recommended an individual wait at least one year and obtain solid recovery experience before getting involved in those efforts. This delay will strengthen both the individual and the quality of “giving back” they can offer down the line. Families and loved ones, recover your own strength and energy first!. When you are ready, here are some advocacy organizations that are focused on legislation that you can be involved with.